Juan Aparicio, Class of 2015

Dept of Government at Harvard Office
Juan Aparicio, Class of 2015

I knew I wanted to concentrate in Government from the time I applied to Harvard and have never looked back since. The flexibility of the concentration allowed me to explore the breadth of Harvard’s offerings, while its resources and staff allowed me to explore my personal interests in depth. Not only was I able to continue pursuing an artistic passion in contemporary ballet, but I dove into my professional interests by conducting policy research in Armenia, studying energy politics in Russia, and more! I was able to travel the globe during my time at Harvard (seriously, I filled a passport) in no small part thanks to Government. While an undergraduate, I was a recipient of the Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship – a path to public service through diplomacy. After graduating in 2015, I joined the Masters in Public Policy program at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government. There, I was able to train in leadership, negotiation, management, and policy analysis – all while concentrating in International and Global Affairs. Studying Government at the graduate level demonstrated just how well the Government concentration prepared me for the future. Today, I represent the United States abroad as a diplomat in the U.S. Foreign Service. As a Political Officer, I apply my studies in Government every day in meetings with host nation officials, through cables back to Washington D.C., and in the everyday interactions that serve to represent the American people abroad.