Andrew O’Donohue

Student writing in Notebook

Comparative Politics with a Focus on the Middle East

Andrew O’Donohue in Turkey

In addition to studying the global crumbling of democracy, my time as a Ph.D. student has been filled with many fun experiences. Inside the department, my favorite space is the weekly Comparative Politics workshop – I love seeing friends for lunch, learning about new research, and having a conversation with people who are experts on dozens of different topics and countries. I’ve also enjoyed working with the GSA as Chair of our Wellness Committee and most recently, crowdsourcing trivia questions for a Gov Family Feud event (hosted by the incredible Josh Kertzer!). 

Outside the Department, I’ve loved trying the food around Boston with my cohort — ever since Ahmet took me to Sevan, an Armenian bakery in Watertown, I’ve been a devoted fan. (I highly recommend the jajek, etch, lahmejune, and Armenian string cheese!) One of my favorite memories has also been conducting fieldwork. This past summer, I had the chance to spend time conducting interviews in Turkey and then traveling with my two younger siblings around Istanbul, the Aegean coast, and Cappadocia.

Year 3
2023